Re: 56K Modems

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:23:58 +0100,
Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20040104182358.GB9012@aokiconsulting.com>:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 02:31:12PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:

> > > I wouldn't bother.  The US dollar is super-weak right now, so a 25
> > > pound modem is going to be more like $60, plus add $30 for
> > > overseas shipping and whatever customs duties there might be.
> >
> > Hmm, wonder if that's why they've got so cheap over here...
> >

> Price is not all the issue here.
>
> Most MODEM comes with AC adapter with transformer.  It is locked to AC
> voltage and plug type.  UK != US  Just do not think about it.

..these usually states the low voltage ampereage and voltage too, like
in "Input 230VAC ~ 50 Hz 20W, Output 13V =-=-= 1A 13VA ", or
"Input 230VAC ~ 50 Hz 75mW, Output 9VAC ~ 800mA 7.2VA", no?

..on replaceing the transformer adapter, you basically need to match the
modems power demand, it should be printed in the docs or on the case.

..the only showstoppers I can think of, is noise filters set to weed out
50Hz in the US and 60Hz elsewhere, and clock circuitry useing the
power mains as a time source (hellooo!).  ;-)

> Expensive toys like laptop and LCD monior (not MODEM) tend to come
> with variable voltage adapter.
>
> US = 120 V (Shares plug with Korea/Taiwan)      =+ shape plug
> Japan = 100 V (Similar to US but no ground pin) = shape plug
>
> UK = 240 V     T arranged flat plug
> FR/DE = 220V   : arranged round pin plug with grounding
> IT = 220V      ... and thinner round pins

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: