pop3vscan iptables question

I'd like to use pop3vscan to run clamscan. I added the following
iptables rule:
# /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 110 -j
REDIRECT --to-port 8110

I then went through the procedures in /etc/default/iptables so that the
rule would remain after rebooting, but that doesn't seem to work. If I
reboot, the rule isn't there when I try:
#iptables -t nat -v -L
If I do:
# /etc/init.d/iptables restart
It will load the rule with: "Loading iptables rulesel": load "active" ".

A couple of possible issues:
-I had compiled nat, iptables, and redirect support into the kernel,
rather than as modules.

-If I run
#dpkg-reconfigure iptables
I am not prompted for anything.

-I had to create the directory /var/lib/iptables/ in order to save
active and inactive. It has the same permissions as all of the other
directories in /var/lib

Any suggestions on how to get dpkg-reconfigure iptables to work (I
suspect the problem is there) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.