Re: fetchmail: lock creation failed

Hi, Thomas.

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 10:49:55AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I am in the process of replacing a failing hard drive.  I copied my home
> directory from the old drive to the new drive with
>
>    cd /oldhome/tom
>    cp -Rp .* /home/tom               ( Found by trial and error that .*
> works)

Ugh..  cp'ing is better then tam-taming (that one was sweeet, Richard
:-)), but it still doesn't handle gracefully non-regular files as are
pipes, device nodes, ... symlinks.  If you still have your oldhome, do
the same using two tars:

tar cC /oldhome/tom . | tar xC /home/tom

will do :-)

> Almost everything works - e.g. mozilla previously undeleted mail - but
> fetchmail which aborts with the "lock creation failed" message.

The lockfile is `~/.fetchmail.pid'.  This surely means you have no write
permission to this file, or to your home directory, or both.

> How can I fix this?

rm ~/.fetchmail.pid, and check your permissions wrt your home directory.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 7