Re: How to easily input special characters? (encoded in UTF-8)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:05:56 +0800, Hongzheng Wang wrote:

>    Now I have to use openoffice to input them, but, you know, the
> opening process of openoffice is so slow. Is there another easier method
> to input them?
>    Thank you very much.
>
> --
> Hongzheng Wang

Hongzheng,

A quick apt-cache search reveals that there are character selector
utilities for both Gnome and KDE in the following packages:  gnome-applets
and kcharselect, however I don't know whether either will suit your
purpose as I haven't used them myself.  This was a search on the testing
distribution.

With regard to OpenOffice starting slowly:  there are "quickstarter"
applets for both Gnome and KDE:  packages ooqstart-gnome and oooqs-kde.  I
use the Gnome one.  You need to install it and then activate it.  It
dramatically speeds up OO loading;  however, closing OO is a little
slower.

Hope this is of help.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.