Base system is installed (I think), now what?

Hi all,
I'm interested in setting up a server box. I've got an old IBM PC Server 330
and I've installed Debian on it. I didn't mess with dselect, but I think I
just went with the desktop choice in tasksel (not knowing what other option
to go with). Anyway, I have a bootable system now, but am lost as to what to
do next.

a) what do I do to ensure what is installed on the system is up to date /
updated?
b) how do I get the kernel to recognize the second processor on my machine?
c) can someone please explain the difference between the different flavors
of Debian (potato, woody, sarge, I think) and which is suited for what?

thanks,
Joubin.