Re: vncserver question

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 10:59:26PM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> Well, unfortunately, running vncpasswd gives me the exact same error.
>
> ls -ls ~/.vnc produces
>
> drwxr-xr-x    2 curtis     curtis         4096 Jan  2 18:21
> /home/curtis/.vnc
>
> So, maybe it is a bug.  It seems when searching for an answer someone
> brought up an issue with bash versus other shells.  Could the issue
> have something to do with running it under a certain shell?

As I said it could be related to the value of HOME not agreeing with
what is in /etc/passwd.

Do the following two commands:
grep curtis /etc/passwd
echo $HOME

on my system I get:
$ grep bijan /etc/passwd
bijan:x:1000:1000:Bijan Soleymani,,,:/home/bijan:/bin/bash

$ echo $HOME
/home/bijan

As you can see the in both cases my home directory is /home/bijan.
If they were different it could cause problems if a program checked
the wrong one.

As a last try you could try setting home explicitly before running
vncserver:
    for sh/ash/bash:
        HOME=/home/curtis
        export HOME