Re: Base system is installed (I think), now what?

Hi, Joubin.

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 11:11:34PM -0800, Joubin Moshrefzadeh wrote:
> to go with). Anyway, I have a bootable system now, but am lost as to what to
> do next.

I suppose you are familiar with Unix.

Start with aptitude(8), to see which programs are there in Debian.  Set
up your shell or X environment or both.  And start playing with it: it's
installed, so it's ready--no big deal ;-)

> a) what do I do to ensure what is installed on the system is up to date /
> updated?

Have /etc/apt/sources.list set up properly, then run

apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade

> b) how do I get the kernel to recognize the second processor on my machine?

Install one of those shipped with Debian.

apt-cache search kernel-image

should give you the idea which to chose.

> c) can someone please explain the difference between the different flavors
> of Debian (potato, woody, sarge, I think) and which is suited for what?

Read http://www.debian.org/releases/

Cheers,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 7