Re: modprobe says not found - insmod ok ????

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:45:51AM -0500, Lou Losee wrote:
> I run a mix of testing and unstable,

You should prepare for this kind of problems, even worse.  I'm running
stable, but what I've heard, testing+unstable is the worst of available
possibilities.  Just be sure you know what you are doing.

> /etc/modutils/aliases:alias usbmouse mousedev

This says modprobe(8) to load `mousedev' instead of `usbmouse'.  Insmod
doesn't look at /etc/modules.conf, so it is not affected.  Comment out
this line, run update-modules(8), and it should work ok.

Just for a reference:

| % modinfo mousedev
| filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.23-jan/kernel/drivers/input/mousedev.o
| author:      "Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>"
| license:     "GPL"
| parm:        xres int, description "Horizontal screen resolution"
| parm:        yres int, description "Vertical screen resolution"

I'm not going to dig any further into this, but you can find what ImPS/2
is, and whether the alias stanza is reasonable, and possibly file a bug.

Cheers,
Jan.

--
Jan Minar                   "Please don't CC me, I'm subscribed." x 7