Re: Fw: 2.6.0, ppp, devfs

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 10:07:17PM +0300, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 December 2003 23:31, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > when i modprobe ppp_generic, i get this error in dmesg:
> >     PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
> >     devfs_mk_cdev: could not append to parent for ppp
> >     failed to register PPP device (-17)
> > this seems to cause ppp_async to fail with unknown symbols.
>
> -17 == EEXIST
> Something restores /dev from backing store during boot; this is wrong
and long
> obsolete. The right way to do it is to add RESTORE directive to
devfsd.conf:

wonderful.  this was indeed the issue.  my debian unstable
machine had a /etc/devfsd/devices.d/ppp file which contained the
directives to have devfsd create it on boot.  once i removed
this file, and rebooted my 2.6.0 kernel with modular
ppp_generic, it all worked again.

thank you andrey and andrew for you time!

i cc'd debian-users in case anyone else there is having this
issue.
--
| glynis@hjsoft.com         http://www.hjsoft.com/~glynis/ |