Re: usb pendrive strangness

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 06:48, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> On a stock debian sarge, fresh install, I can enter these two lines into
> fstab:
>
> /dev/sda  /mnt/pendrive  auto    defualts,user,noauto,umask=002  0  0
> /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usbdrive auto  defualts,user,noauto,umask=002 0  0
>
> I can then mount as user or root both devices.  In Libranet 2.8.1, mosly
> sarge I can mount the usb drive IF it is sdb1, NOT sda1 or sdc1 or
> sdd1.  I CANNOT mount /mnt/sda:
>
> user1@DAM-LN:~$ mount /mnt/pendrive
> mount: /dev/sda is not a valid block device
> user1@DAM-LN:~$
>
> Making it /dev/sda1 or c,b etc has no bearing.  If I specifiy vfat
> (which is what I think it is) I get:
*snip*
>  unable to read partition table
> usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 2 rqt 128 rq 6 len 18 ret -110
> #####above line repeated about 20 times##########
>
> The message at boot (does not show up if I run dmesg) is:
>
> Starting Htoplug subsystem:  Inputt*** cant synthesize input events
> -/proc/bus/input/devices missing
> pci*** cant synthesize PCI hotplug events
> usbsync:   [oo1 oo1 oo1 oo2 oo1 ]
>
> /proc/bus has pci & usb, but no input.  ????  Should it have input?  IF
> so, how do I make input dir?  I'm starting to think this is a kernel
> issue.  I am using 2.4.23 on this box (stock Libranet kernel settings)
> and 2.4.21-1-I386 stock Sarge Debian kernel on the box these devices
> work on.  Same family of motherboards (ECS k7s5a and k7s5a Pro) so
> hardware is not an issue.  In addition, on the problem box (Libranet
> 2.8.1) I have an USB-2 pci card, eliminating the possibility of an
> onboard usb problem.   This has me scratching my head.  Where do I look
> and what do I do?

Given that I just woke up, I may be difficult to understand... :)

IIRC, There are checks in place to stop you mounting a device, when you
should be mounting one of it's partitions. However, a few manufacturers
of the pen drives appear not to have read the specs and either didn't
pre-partition the drives, or have their own strange system. In either
case, salvage the data, and cfdisk the device.

The hotplug system uses a bunch of data from /proc/ to get it's required
info. For some reason, the required sub tree of /proc/ doesn't show up
automatically. To mount it, add this to your fstab;
none            /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs        defaults        0      0

This should also fix the usbdevfs lines. You need to have usbdevfs
compiled into your kernel.

Regards
Edward