Re: Is there another way to do apt-get dist-upgrade with a slow internet connection?

On Thursday January  1 at 09:03am
Paul Morgan <paulswm@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:35:24 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
>

> >> You could simply copy the .debs which you want from one of the
> >mirrors,> put them on a CD, take it home and copy the .debs off the
> >CD into> /var/cache/apt/archives on your PC and do the dist-upgrade.
> >You don't> have to get all the debs, just ones which you know are
> >big.>
> >  I would add: check dependencies, since you might not notice some
> >  required debs that might be BIG for a dial-up. In which case, put
> >  them into the CD.
>
> Yes, the assumption is:
>
> Before going to work, run:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get -y --print-uris dist-upgrade >file-list
>
> - Email file-list to work or take it on a floppy
> - D/L all the debs on the list or, if there are a lot, just the big
> ones
>
> ... etc.

Isn't that what apt-zip is for?

jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache show apt-zip
Package: apt-zip
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 104
Maintainer: Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.13.2
Depends: apt (>= 0.3.10)
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-zip/apt-zip_0.13.2_all.deb
Size: 14752
MD5sum: 78b979ac3ea325e1a2d4b154f14f5eb4
media These scripts simplify the process of using dselect and apt on a
 non-networked Debian box, using removable media like ZIP floppies.
 One generates a `fetch' script (supporting backends such as wget and
 lftp, in a modular, extensible way) to be run on a host with better
 connectivity, check space constraints of your removable media, and
 then install the package on your Debian box.
 .
 Note on current version: space-checking is not done and spanning
 multiple disks is not yet supported.

jkoenig@note:~$
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Goldfinger - The End Of The Day : Stomping Ground