Re: Is there another way to do apt-get dist-upgrade with a slow internet connection?

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 08:35:24 -0500, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

>> You could simply copy the .debs which you want from one of the mirrors,
>> put them on a CD, take it home and copy the .debs off the CD into
>> /var/cache/apt/archives on your PC and do the dist-upgrade.  You don't
>> have to get all the debs, just ones which you know are big.
>>
>  I would add: check dependencies, since you might not notice some
>  required debs that might be BIG for a dial-up. In which case, put
>  them into the CD.

Yes, the assumption is:

Before going to work, run:

apt-get update
apt-get -y --print-uris dist-upgrade >file-list

- Email file-list to work or take it on a floppy
- D/L all the debs on the list or, if there are a lot, just the big ones

... etc.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.