Re: Is there another way to do apt-get dist-upgrade with a slow internet connection?

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:02:57 +0530, Rishi Gangoly wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use Knoppix 3.2 at home.
> I have an extreemly slow dial up connection to the NET from here.
> However, the speed in my office is super fast.
>
> One option to do a dist-upgrade would be to take the computer to the office
> and do it over the week-end, but I was wondering if there was an alternative
> to that..
>
> Something on the lines off downloading the files in the office and copy on a
> CDROM. Then tell apt-get to look for the dist-upgrade from the CDROM..
>
> Is this doable?
> Any tips / advice on which software to download or man page to read?

You could simply copy the .debs which you want from one of the mirrors,
put them on a CD, take it home and copy the .debs off the CD into
/var/cache/apt/archives on your PC and do the dist-upgrade.  You don't
have to get all the debs, just ones which you know are big.

--

Programming without a hex editor is like watchmaking without a hammer.