Re: Struggling with Palm Pilot

On Thursday 01 January 2004 02:55, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 02:12:13PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Hit the 'sync' button on the Palm cradle *first*.  The USB device isn't
> > activated until it gets the external request.
>
> kpilot's KDE daemon just sits there checking the device every few
> seconds, so when you press the hotsync button, it automagically does
> it's stuff.

Don't rub it in, I have been a kde user since I first put linux on my desktop
a couple of years ago.  I'm having an extended trial under gnome to see if I
can find a usable setup.

So far, I have been unable to do without kmail - can't find another mail
program that supports mailing lists as easily (especially timed purging of
folders),  the desktop panel doesn't have the same nice starting up
notification that kde has, I can't put different desktop backgrounds on each
workspace so I can tell at a glance which one I am working in, I miss
konsoles tabbed window selection, and konqueror seems to be the only browser
with an "up" button and a "clear url button" and now this!

To be fair, on the upside - gpdf seems to always display  pdf files whereas
kghostview seems sometimes to fail to render the document.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk