Re: software raid - fun

hi ya lucas

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Lucas Albers wrote:

> I just said the hell with mkinitrd, as you know.

yup.. i avoid initrd as much as possible to

> If you have directions on using initrd to work with raid, LET ME KNOW.
> If I don't have to recompile the kernel, then great!

mkinitrd does not create teh proper initrd files you need
	- its just a starting outline
	- you have to put your kernel into the mkinitrd tree
	- you have to add other /lib/modules files your kernel needs
	- than you compress that tree into initrd.gz and you're set
	- its a pain

> You can use systemimager for complete remote backup of a system.
> I use it to remote upgrade/downgrade desktops.
> Amazing!

i use custom tools .... ( tar | find )...

> The lilo entry is really really simple for raid, after much much trial
> trial error.

yes.. takes a few fiddling or ...

> just set root=/dev/md0

you also have to set boot=/dev/md0 ... or you will NOT be able to boot
when hda or hdc dies

> Then update fstab on your new root partition.
> As mentioned before I will be posting complete directions, I am writing
> them now.

more docs is needed ... :-)

> Need to figure out what tests to use on my system, what are your base raid
> tests you run?
> Boot off disk1, boot disk2, etc....

i do that and write 2GB or 4GB files in between each boot and watch is
resync ..
	- if you have to type anything to get it to boot... its NOT raid
	( you can automate the writing the test files too and watch is
	( resync

> I could never figure out grub, I wish I could have, but I also gave up on
> that. Stage1,Stage2 loader, never got it to work.

just find the equivalence betwee lilo.conf and /etc/grub.conf or
boot/grub/menu.list  and it should be easier to follow

root# vi /boot/grub/menu.lst    -- add your new kernels
root# grub-install /dev/hda	-- for normal hda stuff

> Once i figured out how to use mdadm I like it, because it is easier then
> raidtools2 to use and it notifies you if a disk dies.

yes... mdadm will save our butt more often thannot

c ya
alvin