Re: software raid - fun

Alvin Oga said:

> that's the 1st of the dozen magic test...
> 	- power off and disconnect a disks and try for hands off reboot
> 	after having written a 2-4GB file is my test for resyncing
>
>> Even if you completelly clear a partition but don't format it you can
>> still boot from hda1 to a raid volume.
>
> yes... because MBR is not inside /dev/hda1 ...
>
>> I did this accidentally and the system still booted even though hda1 had
>> no partitions on it.
>
> saved to your but eh .. :-) one remembers best from ones mistakes :-0
>
> that would depend also on mkinitrd and all of its contents it has
> and stuff you add afterward before you finally close it down to make the
> customized initrd.gz files

Whatup alvin,
I just said the hell with mkinitrd, as you know.
If you have directions on using initrd to work with raid, LET ME KNOW.
If I don't have to recompile the kernel, then great!

You can use systemimager for complete remote backup of a system.
I use it to remote upgrade/downgrade desktops.
Amazing!

The lilo entry is really really simple for raid, after much much trial
trial error.
just set root=/dev/md0
Then update fstab on your new root partition.
As mentioned before I will be posting complete directions, I am writing
them now.

Need to figure out what tests to use on my system, what are your base raid
tests you run?
Boot off disk1, boot disk2, etc....

I could never figure out grub, I wish I could have, but I also gave up on
that. Stage1,Stage2 loader, never got it to work.

Once i figured out how to use mdadm I like it, because it is easier then
raidtools2 to use and it notifies you if a disk dies.

--
--Luke CS Sysadmin, Montana State University-Bozeman