Re: [OT] Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications)

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:11:58PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
Vote for your third-party during the primary

You can't.  Primary ballots only list candidates from your own party.

Yes. So register as a member of that 3rd party; vote in that 3rd party's primary for your 3rd-party candidate of choice, then when the General Election rolls around, you can "switch" candidates and vote for any candidate on the ballot, and at this time pick from the Big Two to avoid "throwing away" your vote. You've still done what you've set out to do; get your 3rd-party some name recognition by putting them on the ballot.

But I kindda like the idea that others have put forward; make political office holding (for many/most? posititions) a responsibility of normal citizens, via random choice, like jury duty. Takes out the professionals and puts "real people" into office. Of course, the pay would have to be enough for the candidate to live on for the term of duty AND allow the candidate to put his normal life on pause (hire a manager for his business while he's away, hire a replacement for his job with guarantee of getting the job back after his term, etc).

Lots of issues, and I reckon I'm ready to get back on-topic, so I'm outta here.

--
Kent