Re: [OT] Slashdot and media accuracy (was Re: Improved Debian Project Emergency Communications)

I'm sorry that my first post to debian-user is so off-topic, and that I
don't have a key yet. I hope to rectify the latter ASAP.

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:34:11PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> In theory, we have a multi-party system.  In practice, voting for a
> "third-party" candidate is a wasted vote, because everyone "knows" that
> every vote cast outside of the Big Two is wasted, and so no one bothers.
>
> If we had a system in which we could vote more than once, for example by
> specifying a first, second, and third choice, maybe we would see some
> shake-up.

The concept I believe you're formulating is commonly called Instant
Runoff Voting. It's an exciting voting reform developed in the 1870s
that has been gaining some small momentum of late.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle