Re: APT::Default-Release doesn't seem to affect upgrades

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:46:20AM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:57:31 -0800 Ross Boylan wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:14:17AM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> > >
> > > You can do 'apt-cache policy | less' and check that the priorities
> > > assigned to the various sources are the ones you think you've specified.
> > > I once had a syntax error in the preferences file and apt completely
> > > disregarded the file. Possibly your case?
> > Don't think so.  apt-cache policy shows one unstable entry, priority
> > 50.
> >
> > Maybe there is an upgrade that depends on an uninstalled package that
> > is only in unstable.  And then the presence of that package pulls in
> > others?
>
> It also may be the case that the version in unstable is the same as the
> version in testing, in which case apt-get will get the package from
> either testing or unstable, since it's the same.
>
> Easy enough to check both theories. Do an 'apt-cache policy <package>'
> for the packages that are being pulled from unstable, and check the
> versions in either distribution.
>
> Cheers,

We have a winner.  Every single package that I checked that apt-get -s
said was from unstable had the same version in testing and unstable.

I'd almost file a wishlist bug about it, but as I recall there was
quite a stack of more pressing issues for apt.....

Thanks, Carlos.