Re: APT::Default-Release doesn't seem to affect upgrades

Please keep your postings to the list. Thanks.

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:51:01 -0800 Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:53:21PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> >
> > As extra precaution, Ross can disable apt-get from getting packages from
> > unstable unless explicitly told to by creating /etc/apt/preferences
> > with the lines:
> >
> >    Package: *
> >    Pin: release a=unstable
> >    Pin-Priority: 25
> >
> > 25 may be replaced by any other number below 100.
> >
> Oddly, I tried that, and it didn't completely work.  Here's my
> preferences file:
>
> Explanation: Try to prevent unstable from creeping in
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> When I do apt-get -s dist-upgrade it still pulls in lots of unstables.

Works fine here. What is that "Explanation:" line? Are you sure it's
supported syntax?

You can do 'apt-cache policy | less' and check that the priorities
assigned to the various sources are the ones you think you've specified.
I once had a syntax error in the preferences file and apt completely
disregarded the file. Possibly your case?

Regards,

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/