Re: unchecked 31 times

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:20:05 -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:

> Paul Morgan said on Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 03:49:52PM -0500:
>> > There are currently Debian packages which are needed at boot time which
>> > depend upon datafiles kept in /usr.  discover is one of them, there may be
>> > more.  In woody, therefor, a seperate /usr can cause problems.  Does it
>> > gain you much?
>> >
>> > Why should /tmp be its own partition instead of symlinking /tmp ->
>> > /var/tmp?
>> >
>> > Is there any need for a /boot partition on modern hardware?  Why do you
>> > like a seperate boot partition?
>> >
>> > I'm just curious as to the reasoning behind your partitioning scheme.

>> FHS says "The contents of the root filesystem should be adequate to boot,
>> restore, recover, and/or repair the system."
>
> Right... so, again with the "why put /usr on a seperate partition from /"?
> Making / large enough to hold /usr certainly fulfills the req of the contents
> of the root filesystem being adequate to boot, restore, recover and repair the
> system.
>
>> /tmp and /var/tmp have different purposes.  Check FHS again.  Actually, I
>> have both /tmp and /var/tmp on their own logical volumes.
>
> Okay, so neither your /tmp or /var/tmp volumes are available at boot time.  So,
> why have a seperate /tmp and /var/tmp?
>
> According to the FHS 2.2, the only difference between /tmp and /var/tmp is that
> data in /var/tmp be "more persistant" than data in /tmp, but the only
> restriction on /tmp is that programs not assume that data in /tmp persists
> between invocations of a program.
>
> In other words, /var/tmp appears to completely fulfill the requirements of
> /tmp, which makes me wonder why they are seperate.

You demonstrate a minimal understanding of the purpose of partitioning,
and, indeed, of the boot process.

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to set up you system any way you
wish.

I have found you an argument;  I am not obliged to find you an
understanding.

--

"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and
a woman."

-- Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of California