Re: unchecked 31 times

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 16:20, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 at 20:29 GMT, Greg Folkert penned:
> >>=20 Wouldn't this require rebooting first, or something, in order to
> >>fsck the root partition?
> >
> > the root partition should be small anyway. 200MB or so. Those that
> > have one single 200GB root partition are asking for trouble...
>
> That's not really the point.  I think the point is that most of us try
> to *avoid* reboots whenever possible ...
>
> But just for the sake of argument, why do you say the root partition
> should be 200MB?

root should only be enough to boot with...

/etc  = 45MB (with GConf taking 30MB of that)
/bin  = 3.5MB
/sbin = 3MB
/lib  = 35MB
/dev  = 128KB
/root = 15MB or so
/proc = null
/tmp  = 50K or so (not a separate filesystem until multi-user/services)

/ should equal the sum of them ~ 100MB. Adding for growth a bit...
That is why I say 200MB.

These should all be separate partitions/drive/mountpoints
/usr
/usr/local
/var
/home
/tmp
/boot (personal pref)

That would keep your problems to a minimum. And keep your reboots to a
minimum as well.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net