Re: unchecked 31 times

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 14:10, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 at 18:53 GMT, Paul E Condon penned:
> >
> >>=20 Wait, wait; I'm confused.  I thought one of the perks of running a
> >>journalling file system was that you can speed up the boot process by
> >>disabling boot-time fsck?  =20
> >
> > I guess there's no free lunch. But is there some way to schedule fsck
> > at some regular time when you know you won't be needing the mounted=20
> > file system? e.g. at 3am local time, or maybe 3pm for night owls?
> >

> Wouldn't this require rebooting first, or something, in order to fsck
> the root partition?

the root partition should be small anyway. 200MB or so. Those that have
one single 200GB root partition are asking for trouble...

I have all of my home machine and work machine storing critical data on
an NFS or samba mounted arrays. So sure go ahead and blowup the local
disk on the workstations... not matter all fun stuff is saved on my
backed-up nfs/samba server.

It is still just good practice to not have a HUGE root partition. Heck
use LVM anyway... that is what it is for. Dynamically modify your
filesystems.

--
greg@gregfolkert.net