Re: unchecked 31 times

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:35:09 -0500, charlie derr wrote:

> Monique Y. Herman wrote:

>>>yes, many bootloaders (aboot, silo, lilo) can only read ext2.
>>>

>> Odd.  I use lilo on unstable, and look at what mount says:
>>
>> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
>

> It occurred to me after posting almost the exact same response that
> probably Tom was referring to the case where / was either reiserfs or
> xfs or jfs, or...
>
> 	~c

He is still incorrect.  My understanding is that lilo works off a system
map which is created at installation and is sector based.  So, as long as
it can figure out where the kernel is physically placed at installation,
it can map it. Then, when loading the kernel, it doesn't have to care
about the filesystem.  So the boot loader can be tiny.

Grub is different.  It has to grok the filesystem at boot time, so the
boot loader is huge as a result.

Oh, and lilo can boot off a RAID device.

--

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting
to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we
know we know.  We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we
know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown
unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know."

- Donald Rumsfeld, US Secretary of Defense, Winner of British Plain
  English Campaign's 2003 "Foot in Mouth" award.