Re: Windows character sets and Linux

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:19:10PM -0500, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I've often seen webpages where certain characters (primarily things like
> apostrophes, quotes and such) show as '?' under Linux. I believe this is
> a problem with character sets in Windows versus Linux. I'm assuming that
> if I include the proper "locale" in Linux, this problem will go away.
> Does anyone know how to solve this, and what the character set is which
> Windows uses (in American English)?

What is your locale? try the command 'locale'. That might help. If you
save the file to disk and view it using a pager or something similar, do
you get the same problem in a terminal? If you can isolate an offending
character, and pipe it through hexdump/hd, what value is it?

If you have more than one locale built (locale -a); try using one of the
others and see if that changes the problem:

$ LANG="fr_FR" cat offending-file
$ LANG="fr_FR" sensible-browser http://offending-url
etc.

--