Re: EXT3 File system recovery

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:58:37 -0500
"Matthew Kopishke" <Matt@Kopishke.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am in desperate need of help.  I had two 60gb disks running in a
> RAID 1 using a Promise FastTrack IDE RAID card and the linux ATARaid
> support with a EXT3 FS (2.4.18).  Over the weekend, as far as I can
> tell, one of the drive died (it just clicks now) so the file system
> went read only and there it sat for a day.  My boss tried to restart
> the machine, and eventually must have done a hard reset.  When I got
> it the machine was stuck trying to do a fsck on the file system.
>
> I pulled the dead drive and stuck the "good" one on a plain IDE
> channel, started off a CD and was able to mount the drive, look at a
> few files, and at that point I was pretty confident in the drive so I
> installed lilo with with the new device name and rebooted (no RAID).
> The machine came up, started to do a fsck, and then said there were
> read errors.  I restarted off the CD and now I can't mount the file
> system.  I tried a fsdebug but it couldn't read the partition. I don't
> know what to do, I'm quite stuck.  This wouldn't be to much of an
> issue but the backup failed and I'm stuck sitting here with out my
> data from the database (mysql).
>
> Can some one point in any direction?
>
> (Oh, and I did try the "clunky" drive again as well)
>
> Thank you!
>
> Matt

I'm just a newbie, Matt, and I'm sure you will get more qualified
opinions coming your way from people on the list.
A once off cure, long enough to obtain a copy of the drive goes like
this:-
Stick the drive in a freezer for 15 - 30 minutes, reinstall and copy.

I have never done it myself, but on another list some years ago this was
suggested, and it was endorsed by a couple of other list members. There
was an explanation, but I can't remember what it was now.
Save it as a last resort anyway.
Regards,

David