Re: RFC: Create d-user-woody, d-user-sarge maillists, deactivate d-user

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 02:28:52 -0800,
"Hereon" <hereon1@fastmail.us> wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031201102852.41AA442A53@server1.messagingengine.com>:

> Request For Comment on:
>   Enhancing the Debian mailing lists by:
>   Creating debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge mailing lists,
>   and deactivating debian-user.

> 1) The Debian user community is substantially suboptimally served
>    with the existence of the current debian-user list.
>
> 2) The debian-user list is _unnecessarily_ overtrafficked,
>    [due to it being the most likely place to ask user questions, and
>    find answers, regarding both Stable(Woody), and
>    Testing/Unstable(Sarge/Sid)]
>    which causes several problems for the Debian community:
>    a) Wasted mental effort discerning which version a message
>       pertains to,
>    b) Wasted mental effort searching for information on either
>       Woody or Sarge/Sid in the (currently) combined list.
>
> 3) The Debian community would be much better served
>    a) by the creation now of two new mailing lists, called:
>      1) debian-user-woody, or possibly debian-user-stable,

..I like to see _both_ debian-user-stable, debian-user-woody,  and,
debian-user-sarge on the release of sarge onwards, and, leave
debian-user-sarge and debian-user-woody etc alone for the
duration of sarge's and woody's service lives, to track each release.

>         or possibly debian-user-3
>      2) debian-user-sarge, or possibly debian-user-sid,
>           or possibly debian-user-sargesid,
>         or debian-user-testing, or possibly debian-user-unstable,
>           or possibly debian-user-testingunstable,
>           or possibly debian-user-4,
>    b) and, perhaps, by deactivating debian-user.

..how about "debian-alpha-user-testing" and "debian-beta-user-testing"?

..appending "-sargesid" etc may help people track the development
history of each release.  Quite handy in these upcoming post-SCO
times.

> 4) This message is requesting:
>    1) Comment regarding specific suggestions of how the situation
>       could be inproved through the creation of 1 or more additional
>       lists to augment or replace debian-user,
>    2) "Seconds" (to the motion) for the request of these changes.
>
> 5) After a comment period (perhaps one week), I will review &
>    analyze the comments.  I will then either:
>    a) Submit a new RFC email, to solicit further clarifications &
>       additions, or
>    b) Submit a wishlist bug to request creation of the new lists, as
>    per:
>
> 6) Once a wishlist bug for new list creation has been registered with
>    the Debian bug tracking system, it would be very helpful if
>       "several other people interested in the new list
>        would send a mail to the bug, in order to record their
>        interest"

> === Debian stable releases have been approximately 1-2 years apart.
> During this period of time, many Debian users make active use of the
> testing/unstable system.
>
> Currently, user questions about testing/unstable are likely to be
> asked in the debian-user list.
>
> But, that is definitely not the best way that things could be.
>
> By asking T/U questions in the -user forum, this is putting
> communications on two logically separable topics (stable, and
> testing/unstable) into one channel/forum.  This causes several
> problems:
>
> 1) The repeated need for QUESTION ASKERS to specify which of the two
> versions their question refers to.
>
> 2) The repeated need for READERS to be constantly alert as to which of
> the two versions each message is referring to.
>
> 3) The difficluty of being unable to easily FIND INFORMATION in the
> list archives relevant to a topic on which you want some
> information/data. Ex: Someone wanting info about a specific topic
> regarding T/U would have to try to de-cohere the combined list to find
> the messages pertaining to their (S, or T/U) system.
>
> These problems could be eliminated, and no new long term problems more
> serious than the current situation would occur, through the creation
> of two new mailing lists, perhaps called
>   debian-user-woody and debian-user-sarge,
> and perhaps by deactivating the current debian-user list.
>
> An excellent time to do this would be just before the start of the new
> calender year, January 2004.

..I would do this on the official release of sarge.  Anyone know a
_mean_ boot school sarge for the announcement?  ;-)