Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:40:55AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:37:26PM +1030, David Purton (dcpurton@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:57:04AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>

> > > If you need to recover a snapshot (or file) from 12 months ago, a
> > > three-disk rotation isn't going to do much for you.
> >
> > We backup offsite on CD, so restoring files 12 months old can be
> > covered that way.
>
> Did you back up to floppies in 1995?
>
>     1995 shipping hard disk size:  512 MiB
>     1995 shipping floppy size:     1.4 MiB
>     Floppies required for a full system backup:  366
>
>     Current shipping hard disk size:  200 GiB
>     Current shipping CDROM capacity:  700 MiB
>     CDROMs required for a full system backup:    293
>
> You could cover your needs with 1-2 large capacity tapes.
>
> Incremental backups would be even smaller.
>
> Note that CDR as arechival media for old projects is reasonably sane.
> For system backups, it's idiotic.

This is what I mean - we do not need to be able to do a full system
restore for files in the distant past.

We publish maths textbooks and each book fits on one or two CDs, so
once we have a book printed, we dump it onto CD and store copies in a
couple of locations.

So backups from our point of view only need to cover for what's
currently being worked on.

dc

--
David Purton
dcpurton@chariot.net.au

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
					Psalm 130:3