Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

on Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:37:26PM +1030, David Purton (dcpurton@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 02:57:04AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > If you need to recover a snapshot (or file) from 12 months ago, a
> > three-disk rotation isn't going to do much for you.
>
> We backup offsite on CD, so restoring files 12 months old can be
> covered that way.

Did you back up to floppies in 1995?

    1995 shipping hard disk size:  512 MiB
    1995 shipping floppy size:     1.4 MiB
    Floppies required for a full system backup:  366

    Current shipping hard disk size:  200 GiB
    Current shipping CDROM capacity:  700 MiB
    CDROMs required for a full system backup:    293

You could cover your needs with 1-2 large capacity tapes.

Incremental backups would be even smaller.

Note that CDR as arechival media for old projects is reasonably sane.
For system backups, it's idiotic.

Peace.

   Microsoft Outlook:  the security hole that happens to be an email client
   -- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, in "How to avoid ILOVEYOU", May, 2000