Re: Partitioning

Hello

Marco Cecconi (<marco@evillot.com>) wrote:

> Andreas Janssen wrote:
>
>> partition, change your fstab and reinstall your boot loader. The
>> disadvantage is that if /boot is on the root partition, you can't
>> have /boot read-only.
>
> Yeah, but Debian doesn't make /boot read-only by default,

Debian doesn't make any partition read-only by default, but you only
have to add three letters to your fstab (,ro)

> and also, half of the stuff in there is actually links to stuff in
> /var or /etc (can't remember which atm)... which pretty much defies
> the purpose. :-)

Not on my boot partition. All the files are on /boot. By default.

> Also, don't expect your system to boot from /boot! It
> actually boots from / and then mounts /boot... don't ask me why! :-)

Yes, / is mounted first, however at that time the kernel is already
loaded. You don't have to mount /boot at all, unless you want to
install or remove a kernel. Not mounting /boot or mounting it ro still
lowers the probability that your kernel is destroyed if you have some
filesystem error on /. Although I must admit that on a system where
most things are already on separate partitions the probability of /
having filesystem errors might be very small.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen