Re: Partitioning

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 15:45, wsa wrote:
> Alvin Oga wrote:
>
> > /boot is NOT needed ...     - /boot was needed in the old days to
> > guarantee that the
> >     boot kernel was occupying the 1st 1024 cylinders
>
> So where do the kernels go when you don't have a /boot partition?
> I'm now using a seperate /boot partition but it's full now.
> So is it possible to change this?

There are also other reasons to use /boot other than to keep the kernel
@1024 or below cylinders.

I make my /boot 150MB including any journal-ling. Therefore, I get to
only have ~ 25 Kernels in place before I have to start cleaning.

There are other reasons as well, like during previous upgrades the
entire "/" filesystem goes belly-up... where would you be then?

Me, I just boot into Single user mode and fix it. It allows flexibility.
It also allows for cleaning up after a simple mistype of a command at an
inopportune time. I believe in the build it once regimen. I have
transferred Debian Builds from one machine to another to another to
another... or even copied those builds... and so on.

I hate to install, but if I do, it's always in a chroot'd environment
from a bootable CD of Linux some how.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Your eyes show as many deep and full shades of blue as a healing bruise
upon an injured forelimb.