Installing kernel 2.4 in Woody

I'm installing Woody on a Pentium Pro. I've done a net install, but have not run tasksel yet.

The net install leaves me with kernel 2.2. I'd like to have the 2.4 kernel becasue I need the capability to mount a subdirectory, which according to the man page is available in 2.4 but not 2.2.

Before I install 2.4 I have some questions which I hope some helpful person can comment on!

- Do I simply do an

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686

and reboot, or is there more to it than that?

- Both 2.4.16 and 2.4.18 are in the package lists for woody. Is there any reason not to choose the latest version?

- It seems to me to make more sense to upgrade the kernel first and run tasksel after. Am I right? Could tasksel cause kernel 2.4 to be uninstalled?

- Is 2.4 likely to cause any problems or conflicts with the packages that would typically be loaded by tasksel? I would be selecting all the development tasks, the desktop environment task, and the scientific applications task.

Thanks in advance to all you helpful people!

Jack Dodds