Re: Installing kernel 2.4 in Woody

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 01:06:01PM -0500, Jack Dodds said
> I'm installing Woody on a Pentium Pro. I've done a net install, but have
> not run tasksel yet.
>
> The net install leaves me with kernel 2.2.  I'd like to have the 2.4
> kernel becasue I need the capability to mount a subdirectory, which
> according to the man page is available in 2.4 but not 2.2.

Yup, "bind mounts", very handy.

> Before I install 2.4 I have some questions which I hope some helpful
> person can comment on!
>
> - Do I simply do an
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686
>
> and reboot, or is there more to it than that?

This is basically it.  You do, however, have to add a single line to
your /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo before you reboot.  If you don't,
your new kernel will not be bootable.  Don't panic if this happens, just
boot your previous one with a simple "linuxold" at the lilo: prompt.

> - Both 2.4.16 and 2.4.18 are in the package lists for woody. Is there
> any reason not to choose the latest version?

None that I know of.

> - It seems to me to make more sense to upgrade the kernel first and run
> tasksel after.  Am I right? Could tasksel cause kernel 2.4 to be
> uninstalled?

It shouldn't really matter.  The Debian package tools are very careful
to only upgrade or otherwise play around with kernels if you explicitly
tell them to.

> - Is 2.4 likely to cause any problems or conflicts with the packages
> that would typically be loaded by tasksel? I would be selecting all the
> development tasks, the desktop environment task, and the scientific
> applications task.

Your kernel is largely unrelated to your userland programs.  Some things
like hardware temperature monitor applets or hardware accelerated 3d
drivers require kernel support, but 95% of programs won't know or care
what kernel you have installed.  You certainly won't have any problems
installing KDE or GNOME or emacs or apache or whatever if you upgrade
your kernel.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:      SHA Fidel Castro DES Ft. Bragg ASDIC credit card AUTODIN