Re: [OT] Why does X need so much CPU power?

On א', 2003-09-21 at 19:43, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:43:49 +0300,
> Micha Feigin <michafeigin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <1063536272.12046.40.camel@2.133nova.math.tau.ac.ilnova>:
> >
> > However under 2.4 its already working quite nicely.
> > some people do get some trouble at times, but its quite stable. I
> > suspend and resume several dozen times without problems, by that time
> > I usually switch kernel again so ... I just got dri+mach64 to work
> > with so
>
> ..huh?   Which mach64, which DRI, which X, which 2.4 kernel and which
> Debian?

the mach64 is ati rage mobility M1 8MB on a sony vaio pcg-fxa53 (amd
1.3G + via chipset).
The simplest way to use dri is adding
deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-mach64-sid/ ./
to sources.list and get the dri related packages (don't remember the
exact names, three of them, one of which for kernel modules), you will
need to remove the dri packages that came with the regular X.
X is 4.3 from experimental, the kernel is a custom 2.4.23-pre4 (also
tried with 2.4.21 and 2.4.22, 2.4.22-ac[12]). You will need to compile
the kernel module for dri for X 4.3 (one if the packages provides the
source). These drivers already include the xv support iirc.
Debian is unstable.
To get it working with swsusp required porting the suspend patch made
for radeon which reset the dri on vt switch. I still need to clean the
code up and understand it a bit more before its ready for
redistribution, I hope I will have some time for this, and then I could
put it up somewhere or get it inserted into the cvs tree. Will take some
time, so if anyone wants to help, I have the modified source and the
modified packages, no warranty though.
I am currently using dri from the cvs tree from sometime in august with
debian patches made against the tree on 4 may and taken from the source
package, and the modifications to allow dri to work after wakeup from
suspend without restarting X.

> > I am happy.
>
> ..does glxgears get the same framerate back when resizing the app?
> (Maximizing, as in clicking the maximizer botton twice?)

I am afraid that the frame rate drops considerably when resizing
glxgears, but the frame rate for the initial window size is about 300
which is more them the 195 I got without dri. Full size I get 44. Also
quake 3 arena, quake 2 and tuxracer will run now, which they didn't
before, and armgetrom gives me 45 fps instead of 3.
Its not like this card actually has descent acceleration in the first
place.

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il