Re: cups install problem

Tom Allison wrote:
Russell Shaw wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

Russell Shaw wrote:

Tom Allison wrote:

Well, I tried a purge and reinstall of cups on my server.

This is one of the many problems I'm seeing.
I finally got it.

And it was brain dead simple.

After I removed the rouge libraries...

Thank you so much everyone who was willing to put up with me and my "issues". :)

I hate this. It's always simple when you're looking back. I just didn't do a dutiful enough job stripping out all the little lost libs.

The one that I ran into didn't have any dependencies or conflicts or anything. It was a little hard to chase down the exact name of at first, dselect didn't show it at all.

But, I can print from Mozilla, OpenOffice, and lpr.
GIMP gives me a stair-case postscript goo.
gv gives me good text

I probably need the printer driver for gimp installed.
Is that on the client and not the server?

I'd guess it goes on the X client.
Probably need cupsys-driver-gimpprint.

dpkg -p cupsys-driver-gimpprint

apt-cache search gimp print | sort

cupsys-driver-gimpprint - Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
escputil - A maintenance utility for Epson Stylus printers
foomatic-db - linuxprinting.org printer support - database
foomatic-db-engine - linuxprinting.org printer support - programs
foomatic-db-gimp-print - Printer/Driver database and print system - gimp-print database
gimp1.2-print - The Print plugin for the GIMP
gimpprint-doc - Users' Guide for GIMP-Print and CUPS
gimpprint-locales - Locale data files for gimp-print
gpaint - GNU Paint - a small, easy to use paint program for GNOME
ijsgimpprint - Inkjet Server - Ghostscript driver for GIMP-Print
libgimpprint-dev - header files for compiling programs with libgimpprint
libgimpprint-doc - Documentation and example code for the gimpprint library
libgimpprint1 - Gimp-Print printer drivers - core library
libgimpprint1-dev - Header files and extras for compiling programs with libgimpprint
libgimpprint1-doc - Documentation and example code for the libgimpprint library
libijs-0.34 - IJS raster image transport protocol: shared library
libijs-0.34-dev - IJS raster image transport protocol: development files
xsane - A gtk-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)