Re: Mozilla and Print

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 10:09, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 06:54:11AM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> > Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> > >What happens if you print to a file and then run lpr on that file?
> > >
> > >Bijan
> >
> > Is this the CUPS version of lpr or the real lpr?
> >
> > I'm asking because I am running into the same problem under cupssys-bsd.
> > cups-server logs, under debug, show a problem, but I can't seem to get it
> > working yet, "IPP Read Error"
>
> I recommended that he use lpr (the real lpr) because he said lpd was
> working. If you have the same problem with mozilla but you're using cups
> then you should probably try it with lp. On the other hand I don't see
> why lpr (the cups one from cupsys-bsd) should be failing.

Okay, some thoughts on this issue:

Tom is unable to administer his cups server with server:631. He seems to
get the web pages but committing his changes doesn't work. This looks to
me like a misconfiguration of cups on the server (not client).

lpr works from the command line but not when called by Mozilla: I
suspect that there are in fact still 2 binaries on the system: An lpr
from the regular unix printing package and an lpr belonging to
cupsys-bsd. Differences in path cause Mozilla to use the cups version
while on the command line the regular version is used. If the server
also runs an cups lpd compatibility daemon, you could then print from
the command line but not from cups.

To check this (wild) guess: on the client we should search for binaries
with name lpr. We should look at the cups configuration file on the
server to see whether the client has appropriate privileges.

Andreas