Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

Also sprach David Fokkema (Sun 03 Aug 02003 at 08:26:11AM +0200):
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 04:31:10AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 01:00:53PM -0400, Travis Crump (pretzalz@techhouse.org) wrote:
> > >
> > > I think the theory is that Person 1 automatically whitelists person 2
> > > when he sends him an email.  Not that I really see how this helps when
> > > person 1 sends email from computer X and receives email on computer Y.
> > > Apparently these people only ever use one computer.
> >
> > Still wrong.
> >
> > A sends a message to B.  A autowhitelists B.
> >
> > A _receives a challenge not from B, but from B's C-R system.  Since B's
> > C-R system isn't known, A's C-R system sends a challenge in response.
> >
> > Rinse, wash, repeat.
>
> No, please, Karsten. Whatever your thoughts on C-R might be, its
> proponents are not _stupid_. Don't you think such a simple situation
> would've been thought of?
>
> A sends message to B. A autowhitelists B.
>
> A receives challenge from B's C-R system which originates (of course)
> from B's e-mail address.

Isn't that a shaky assumption?  I use eight (8) different email
addresses; but, *all* incoming email is grabbed by one (1) fetchmail,
processed by one (1) procmail, and inserted into one (1) maildir
hierarchy.  Yes, I use mutt to automate that email address used,
depending on recipient; but, how do you -- or, more properly, your c-r
system -- know which email address that I will use for my own c-r
challenge?

> A's C-R system recognizes B (and thus B's C-R) and dumps the challenge
> in A's mailbox.

What am I missing?  I thought that the *ONLY* way for A to receive email
from B is for B to respond to A's challenge with the proper password
!?!?

Perhaps, c-r is akin to ai, and B's challenge auto-magically includes A's
proper password in B's initial challenge?  How convenient . . .

> A responds to the challenge and the link is set up.

As I understand this, A will never see B's challenge -- lacking,
obviously, that proper password -- even if B's challenge originates with
that initial email address.  In my case, there is a 12.5% chance that
B's challenge will be from that initial email address ;<

Furthermore, if you are right, and the link is setup at this point, then
clearly, the password is ubiquitous, and any spammer need only respond
by whatever means, and you've delayed receiving your plate of spam, but
eat it you must.

Frankly, I am not interested in telling spammers that my email address
is legitimate.  In fact, I much prefer forwarding spam to proper
authorities, and ignoring the spammer directly.  Do you think that
spammers want to know email addresses that will respond to them?

What else do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds