Re: Q on NYT article on the cost of Spam

on Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 06:53:45AM -0700, Hugo Vanwoerkom (hvw59601@yahoo.com) wrote:
> If you go here:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/28/technology/28SPAM.html?hp=&pagewanted=print&position=
> it tells you about the cost of spam.

> The question nobody(?) seems to answer is why spam at all: it has to
> be that doing it gets you money.  Can anybody answer that side of it?

One frequently posed hypothesis is that spam doesn't pay, but spamming
does.  That is:  it's not the advertisers who're making money, but the
folks who're tossing out 300m emails for $300-$1000 a pop.  Much as it
was the blue-jeans vendors who profited from the California Gold Rush,
and, er, well, who got rich from dot-coms?  Only winner I can see is
Microsoft.  Hmm...  _That_ explains something....

Peace.

   Hollings:  bought, paid for, but couldn't deliver the CBDTPA:
     http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/hollings.s2048.032102.html