Re: sudo doesn't work

on Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 07:16:43AM +0200, Yves Goergen (nospam.list@unclassified.de) wrote:
> ----------
> Original Message from Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> at 30.07.2003 05:46:47:
>
> > Yves Goergen wrote:
> > > what i would like to do:

<...>

> > In the future if you would word wrap your postings to some column such
> > as column 72 it would be most appreciated.? Those long lines are hard
> > to read.? Thanks.

<...>

> > > i've found some postings like "sudo is bad - no, sudo is good" today. i don't know whether it's good or bad, atm it's simply not suitable for my needs, though i'm convinced there must be a solution to this. anyway, i'm open for totally different approaches to get my maildir with another uid... only it must be fully automatable (no interactive questions or passwords!).
> >
> > sudo is good.? :-)
> >
> > Bob

Please use postfix quoting format:  your reply goes below the material
cited.  Trim your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are
accurate.

See: http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/Email-Quotes.html

Thank you.

> sorry for the long lines... thought your mail reader can do word
> wrapping at the end of a line

Some do.  Some don't.   Many will arbitrarially decide to add some
number of quote prefix markers ('> ') to the start of such wrapped
lines.  Problem is, those prefix marks are attributions, and several
folks here (myself included) get rather testy when

  1.  It becomes impossible to tell who said what in a thread with
      quoting.

  2.  Our own quotes are misattributed to others, or others' to us.

See your own "i've found some..." line above.

> :/ using my own mailer now, since i'm at
> work (and so i can't test that pathname thing right now).

That's not an excuse.  Get and run 'vim' or another editor which handles
wrapping and quoting sanely.  Past from it to your broken mailer.

Peace.

    By failing to protect the public interest in free access to the
    products of the inventive and artistic genius -- indeed, by
    virtually ignoring the central purpose of the Copyright/Patent
    Clause [in the Constitution] -- the Court has quitclaimed to
    Congress its principal responsibility in this area of the law."
    -- Justice Stevens, J., dissenting, "Eldred v. Ashcroft"