Re: stat question

> PS still cant find coreutils or stat, though its not a problem now.
>
> debian:/home/web# dpkg -i coreutils
> dpkg: error processing coreutils (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> coreutils
> debian:/home/web# dpkg -i stat
> dpkg: error processing stat (--install):
> cannot access archive: No such file or directory
> stat
> debian:/home/web#

Could it be that you want to do:
# apt-get install stat

As far as I know, dpkg is only used to install packages, which are already
downloaded (from ``dpkg --help'': ``dpkg -i|--install <.deb file name>'').

Does it show up on apt-cache[1]?

Cheers,
  Johannes

[1]:
# apt-cache search ^stat
stat - wrapper for stat() and statfs calls
# apt-cache show stat
Package: stat
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 80
Maintainer: Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.3-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Filename: pool/main/s/stat/stat_3.3-2_i386.deb
Size: 11916
MD5sum: d576a105c03861f57e9c8b82a9b3dfd5
 Display all information about a file that the stat() call provides and all
 information about a filesystem that statfs() provides.

#

--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great
Dictator