stat question

Hello,

A while ago someone suggested using the stat command to get modification times for files etc, ls -al will give the info but I would have to do a lot of string stripping etc ...

I have looked up man "stat", confusing ... googled for it, confusing ! It is not a regular command, ie "stat" on the command line is a no go though there is a man page for it.

It appears to be a "pearl" module ?

OK simple question. In a bash script can I use stat to get modification times of files ?
If so what is the syntax ?

Dave