Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

On Friday 01 August 2003 18:55, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 07:48:36AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
[...]
> > And I can guarantee you that I will never respond to
> > "challenges".
>
> Why?
>
> If you send mail to a list and you get a challenge, sure, ignore
> it. If a user of the mailbox-sentry-program or tmda
> (tmda.sourceforge.net) fails to place a mailing list on his
> personal whitelist he's just being careless or stupid. (Or, he
> might be still figuring out his setup and might be neither.)
>
> If you send mail directly to a person, off-list, in private, why
> not respond to his challenge? [...]

Yes.  Good questions.

The trouble is, while we who love the internet and have been using it
for years all feel to a greater or lesser degree outraged by the
crass nastiness of most spam, we have somehow become divided into
warring factions fighting for the peak of the moral high ground.  Or
fighting for what we see as the most practical response.  I am
convinced there is room for some compromise, for an acceptance by the
C-R proponents that filtering will continue to have a place, and a
corresponding acceptance by filterers that C-R can be a powerful
force for good.  If each side looks more favourably on the other's
work, we might just begin to invent an effective response that will
pre-empt the drive by some of TPTB to grab more power by stepping in
to regulate this too.  The politicians are the real enemy.

This is really way OT here, but I for one would be happy to discuss it
elsewhere.

--
richard