Trying Again

I've had some trouble posting to this group, so I'm trying again with a different mail client. Here's my problem. I don't know what I'm doing... But about my other problems... I just installed a fresh copy of Debian 3.0r1, and in order for my hardware to work, I need
to upgrade the kernel to a 2.4.x version.
I'm new to Debian, and I don't understand the package system, or installing the kernel
the 'Debian Way'
The computer I'm using does not have Internet access yet either. I can't get the NIC to
work.  Although I've been told that the newer kernel supports that card.
SO, which files do I need to download(kernel image, package, etc) that I can put on a CD
and copy to the Debian machine.  And then what do I do with those files?
Thanks for the help on my previous questions, and thanks for the help with this one...