Howto auto unpack/read "README.Debian.gz" ?

AS I've seen some of these files after installing some packages, as since
they are not unpacked by apt-get, I am wondering if there isn't a "smart"
way of reading this instead of unpacking first...

I wonder if, for instance, "less" could automatically unpack it for
showing it (Is that what that "mime-handler" stuff that appears apter
apt-getting less is for?)

Or it's supose to have such files in our disk untill we eventually need
them, and then unpack them forever?

Thanks

--
		        	Joao Pedro Clemente