Re: apt-get, KDE, and gnomemeeting

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 17:04, sport woman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run gnomemeeting(version greater than
> 0.12) and Debian KDE at the same time, but when I try
> to upgrade gnomemeeting (I only find upgrades from
> USA/unstable), I get (from apt-get install) a message
> saying that in order to do this, it has to get rid of
> KDE.  (I'm running the 2.4.18 Linux kernel with
> Debian, and my /etc/apt/sources.list started with only
> stable but now I have done a 'dist-upgrade' to
> testing).
>
> I am using the 'apt-get' instructions from
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
> (section 3.8) for a mixed system... so now my
> /etc/apt/sources.list has a source for unstable debian
> packages. (I need the unstable for gnomemeeting.)  I
> had thought that using 'apt-get -t unstable install
> gnomemeeting' should pull all necessary packages that
> would need to be upgraded (including KDE)...however
> instead KDE would be removed, when I try this command.
>  If someone could please clarify the problem for me, I
> would appreciate it.  (I am not using apt pinning,
> instead I am attempting to maintain a mixed system.)
>
> According to the debian bug-fix maintainer for
> gnomemeeting, I definitely should be able to use
> gnomemeeting 0.96 with KDE 3.1.... I don't want to
> bother him anymore with my questions, especially since
> he directed that I should ask any further questions of
> this email list (and previously, the gnomemeeting
> mailing list, actually the gnomemeeting author
> himself, had directed me to take my question to Jose
> Carlos).
>
> Thank you for any clarification,
> Lori

This has to do with the fact that much in Unstable is built with GCC
3.2, including certain libraries that GnomeMeeting is using.
Unfortunately, the version of these libraries is incompatible with KDE
2.2 and AFAIK, won't be made compatible. KDE 3.1 is in the process of
arriving in Unstable, but there are parts not there yet. I also
understand that the backport of KDE to Woody is no more of a help as it
is not compiled with the newer GCC, and so will prove just as
incompatible.

There is the option of building your own package from source for
GnomeMeeting, although that likely is going to require bringing in
various libraries as well.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org