Re: Laptop (PCMCIA) NIC Suggestions for Woody Stable

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:48:45PM -0500, M. Kirchhoff wrote:

[ please don't top post; it makes your email hard to read and destroys
all context for the reader ]

> Well, I picked up a card for free from a friend.  It is the following,
> and I cannot get it to work under Woody:
>
> Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card P/N: 335507-001
>
> I did some searching and found several posts that said these cards are
> actually Thunder LAN cards, but trying to install the tlan.o modules
> using modconf failed, and I don't see any Compaq-named modules anywhere
> in modconf.  I'm using the bf24 installation, by the way.

A few things:

You're trying to use a driver for a PCI card (tlan) bbut you have a
PCMCIA card.  This is bound to fail.

The Compaq Netelligent PCMCIA card is not a tlan at all; it's
supported by the xirc2ps_cs driver according to the file SUPPORTED.CARDS
from pcmcia-cs.  Which leads me to a question:

Have you installed pcmcia-cs (the card services) and the appropriate
pcmcia-modules package?  You want pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-bf2.4, I
think.

Once you've installed those packages, inserting the card should load
the driver.

  The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that
  they be properly armed.
          -- Alexander Hamilton