Re: Debian newbie confused over apt and packages

Russ,

I had similar questions about updating.

If you check http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200312/thrd12.html and do a search for the thread 'keeping Debian up to date and checking the version number' you should find my original posting to this mailing list with some good replies from some of the guys, errr, sorry, people, here.

In addition, the command 'apt-setup' will configure your sources.list for you and is nicely menu driven.

If you prefer to use a sources.list with the server that I use for troubleshooting (I am in the uk and use mirror.ac.uk) then check the thread above for my sources.list file I included in my original mail. Once you know it works, though, I suggest you change the sources.list using apt-setup to use servers more local to yourself.

Let us know how it goes!

Kind regards,

Adam Barton.

Russ Schneider wrote:

Alright, I just started using Debian after being mainly a Mandrake user.

Installed Woody and I know most of the packages like Apache, etc. need upgrades.

But packages.debian.org is down. Can apt-get upgrade use different servers? Are they mirrored?

I was looking through the US server http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/, but I couldn't find any packages, only lists of packages.

Needless to say I'm confused as to what servers I can put in sources.list at this time.

Is deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
still up?

Could someone provide for me a line like that for updated packages for sources.list that lists a currently available server (if one is available)?
(This box will be online as soon as the UPS man brings me my new router.)