Drives are not being detected

I'm running stable woody 3.0r2.

I originally installed the machine with 2 hard drives on the primary ide controller and a cd drive as master on the secondary controller. I installed off cd and everything came up fine.
I've now tried to add a third hard drive onto the secondary ide controller.  I think I got the master/slave settings conflicting when I first tried to bring the system up - I didn't have a monitor on the box when bringing it up the first couple times.  The box came up ok and the 2 drives on the primary controller were all good, but nothing from the secondary controller.  I put a monitor on to see what was going on, the bios was detecting everything ok, but I still couldn't see anything from inside of linux for the secondary controller.  The bios was displaying this message:

secondary ide channel no 80 conductor cable installed

Which looks like I should be using a different cable, but shouldn't stop things from working?
I've now disconnected the new harddrive so I'm back to the original setup of 2 hard drives on the primary and a cd drive as master on the secondary.  The bios sees everything fine - no warnings about the 80 conductor cable.  But still no sign of the cd drive inside off linux??  This is the same cd I installed the system from.

The following shows that linux is not seeing anything from the second controller:

-----------------
(root@davros) /proc/ide# dmesg | grep hd
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0x4000-0x4007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
   ide1: BM-DMA at 0x4008-0x400f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1, ATA DISK drive
hdb: WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1, ATA DISK drive
hda: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=14593/255/63, UDMA(100)
hdb: 234441648 sectors (120034 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=14593/255/63, UDMA(100)
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
hdb: unknown partition table
(root@davros) /proc/ide# -----------------

-----------------
(root@davros) /root# (root@davros) /root# cd /proc/ide
(root@davros) /proc/ide# ls -l
total 0
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec 31 23:08 drivers
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec 31 23:08 hda -> ide0/hda
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Dec 31 23:08 hdb -> ide0/hdb
dr-xr-xr-x    4 root     root            0 Dec 31 23:08 ide0
-r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec 31 23:08 sis
(root@davros) /proc/ide# ---------------

Any advice on how I can get linux to see the cdrom again would be greatly appreciated!

Andy.