Argosy HD-530 USB2/FW Linux Driver.

The Argosy USB 2.0 / Firewire 2.5" Hard Disk Interface
is wholly usable in Linux.

I am running RedHat 9.0, and issuing 'uname -r' on my
linux box, it returns a kernel version 2.4.20-8... yeah!
I know... that's nothing out of this world!

To make things work nicely, there are a two files to
look at, which are:

The first one:

/etc/fstab

That probably already shows you the device you want to mount, but if not,
just read ahead. We'll return to this in a while, to make /etc/fstab look
how it should.

The other one:

/etc/sysconfig/hwconf

Take a special attention to sections describing your USB hardware.

To make all simpler here's my file section which applies to the case:

-
class: HD
bus: SCSI
detached: 0
device: sda
driver: ignore
desc: "Ibm-djsa -220"
host: 0
id: 0
channel: 0
lun: 0
generic: sg0
-

And guess what... the description field (desc:) shows the same label
Windows XP gives to your device (with the 2.5 HDD inside, of course).

So, try a text search inside your /etc/sysconfig/hwconf, using part
of the label. Don't forget using lower/upper case (ask your text editor
not to perform a case sensitive search).

When you have it, just use the label matching the "device" field, as in
my case "sda".

What we only need to know is which particular partition on your enclosed
disk you want to mount to. If you have only one (what it might be the case),
you should specify sda1 (or sda2, sda3, sdb1, sdc3, etc). Think as it were:
sd<scsi_device_letter><partition_number> all together.

Now we are ready for the magic:

'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/other'

OOOpps!!

"vfat" & "other"???

vfat: is the filesystem type of your partition, or better said, you should
put your filesystem type instead of vfat, but as my 2.5" HDD was formatted
in FAT32 filesystem then I've used vfat, which that's how linux names FATxx
filesystems. Note that standard linux distributions do NOT manage NTFS
filesystems, unless you made some tweaks.

other: that should be the famous mount point (a folder created to use it as
a known place to map your files). So choose a nice name to map your files
and create a folder on a nice place. Look what's inside /mnt, which
typically
will be:

.
..
floppy
cdrom

So issue a 'mkdir mypreferredfoldername'

and what you'll have is:

.
..
floppy
cdrom
mypreferredfoldername

Finally, the command will be:

'mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/mypreferredfoldername'

Then take a look to what's inside '/mnt/myblahblah...'

There you go! (Hopefully).

Now, add this line to your forgotten /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda1    /mnt/myblah      vfat    noauto,owner,users 0 0

Try to ident the text strings, just to make it look neat and clean.
It might help to figure out the details.

The next time what you only need is to attach your device and
mount using an abreviated form of mount:

mount /mnt/myblah

Sorry for being too boring, and hope this helped something!

Bye ;->

Felipe Zottola Diz.
Spain.