Re: slow booting after installing new hdd

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 10:08:12AM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Akira Kitada wrote:
> >Hi all.
> >
> > a few days ago, I had 82.3GB disk installed on my box
> >as primary slave.
> >after that, I turned it on and reading messages of kernel,
> >and found messages that means 'hdb' recognized smoothly.
> >that's good.
> >badly, I found some error messages too,
> >and noticed booting is very slower than before.
> >the messages is below.
>
> You did not specify what kernel but I had to include a kernel
> module to get proper DMA working.

I'm using Linux 2.4.22 as I wrote the first mail ;-)
well, you seem to suspect that
it's a problem of lack of proper module, don't you?
if so, why doesn't it happen till I put hdd on?
I can't stop wondering why?

> Check ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support -> IDE,ATA and ATAPI Block Devices ->
>
> In my case I checked VIA82CXXX. Check out which module pertains to
> your disk. I am using 2.4.23

mine is below. VIA82CXXX is out, seem to be involving as you say.

# egrep 'VIA' config-2.4.22
# CONFIG_MVIAC3_2 is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE is not set
# CONFIG_VIA_RHINE_MMIO is not set
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX is not set
# CONFIG_MIDI_VIA82CXXX is not set

> Congratulations with the new HDD ;-)

Thanks!
I use it little because of this trouble, though ;(